Friday, June 3, 2011

How challenging is changing an oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 2) for my 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera ?

My oxygen sensor got overheated in my 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera. It is in bank1 sensor 2, would I need anything other than a new oxygen sensor? Any specific type? I asked a mechanic and he was going to charge me $200 to put in a new one. I can purchase an oxygen sensor for $20-$60 online. What would be my best option? Let a professional do it, for more money than I probably have, or, take a risk and change the part myself?|||no need to purchase on line as can get at your local auto zone or Kragen etc. you may need a special socket to remove if really tight. unplug leads then remove old unit, screw in new one and plug in electrical leads. Hardest part is getting under the vehicle. Be sure to jack up safely using jack stands.|||Depends, is this car your daily driver? If so I would go ahead and have the mechanic do it as he is expierenced and will get it done quickly and usually correct the first time. If this is a weekend car or you have another car then I would suggest doing it yourself since you should be able to tackle it yourself...|||An O2 sensor is something you can change with the right tools and a little bit of know how, on the other hand you can cause more damage than it%26#039;s worth because the ones on older cars are very hard to remove sometimes and if you don%26#039;t know what you%26#039;re doing you can mess something else up