Thursday, October 6, 2011

How much I should pay for change of catalyst converter?

Hello, there. I have a car that is Toyota corolla born in 2001. I just changed my catalyst converter three month ago.

At that time, my friend introduced me a mechanic. He said that the converter was a expensive part of the car. He said that it was because of that it was made up of the cristal and white-gold. He suggested me $600 to change the converter. I believed in him and I paid to him. Three month later from that, I went to someplace for wheel alignment. I saw the changing cost for the converter was $255. Since then, I have been in the bad mood. Which cost is right? If the mecanic lied to me to get the benefit, Is there anything I could purnish him?

The reason why I put this question to you is that I still have problem on the converter. Still the engine check light's on.

He tried to fix it several times but the lights came out again.

He also asked me to change oxygen sensor. BUT the light came out AGAIN!!

Please tell me what I could do to find my right as a customer.
How much I should pay for change of catalyst converter?
The $255 sounds right but either could be right depending on where he purchased it and what quality he got. He probably padded the bill some too. Call the dealer for an estimate and call some other repair shops for estimates. Maybe look around for another mechanic. The check engine light could be something else. Look for another shop for a free diagnose and estimate. There are blinking light codes that can tell the problem