Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why does my car intermittently smell like gas from the AC? Check engine light on because of oxygen sensor.?

1996 Honda Accord EX, 4 cyl, 2.2L VTEC, 138000 miles



I had my car checked out yesterday and the mechanic told me the check engine light was on because of the front oxygen sensor. I am waiting for them to order the new part to get it fixed, which will be a few days.



I usually only drive my car 30 min at time, but today I drove for like an hour and a half and I noticed faint smells of gas coming from my AC. I turned it off for 15 min and turned it back on and it was ok. Can this be caused by my bad oxygen sensor?



FYI i changed out my spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and air filter 2 days ago. Thanks for all real responses!
Why does my car intermittently smell like gas from the AC? Check engine light on because of oxygen sensor.?
It can, your computer may be compensating for the reading it's getting from the o2 sensor by adjusting the air/fuel mixture. This could cause your engine to run rich and the excess fumes are coming through the air box. Could also be your o2 sensor is correct and something is causing your car to run rich which your sensor is detecting. Your mechanic may be right but it's probably worth getting a 2nd opinion