Friday, September 23, 2011

Can I replace the oxygen sensor on my '95 Ford Ranger?

How hard is it to replace? Like changing a spark plug or replacing the transmission? Does it require special tools? How often should it be replaced anyway?
Can I replace the oxygen sensor on my '95 Ford Ranger?
Yes you can change them! It is a real pain in the butt! At least it was on my '97 F-150! I would suggest you look in a repair manual and see if you need to get any special tools! I would not do it again, I'd just go to a repair shop!
Can I replace the oxygen sensor on my '95 Ford Ranger?
really easy similar to a spark plug but easier to get at. there are either 2 or 4 sensors and run around $100.00 each. Chilton is the maker of do it yourself auto service manuals. Good Luck
O2 sensors are pretty easy to change. Just like taking out a spark plug, You may want the socket to take it out, it a special socket, it has a slot cut out of the side to allow the O2 sensor wire to get out of the way. If the sensor doesn't want to move just let the truck warm up for about 5min or so the start to to spin it out. You should change about every 60-80k miles. You should have 2 oxygen sensors. Upstream by the block and one down stream by the catalytic converter.
it is basically like replacing a spark plug almost,and there is a special socket used for doing this,but if you have a good enough space to work in,a boxed in wrench will remove and install a new one,its not a hard job at all on the old one you don't have to worry about breaking the top off of it,but be really careful on the new one,one wrong slip,and it will break,and that's a lot of money down the drain,be sure and also use a little penetrating oil on it to help loosen it up,i believe you can do it,its not that hard to do,and once you learn how there will be other things you can do also,this is considered to be about a 2 on scale of 1-10,you,ll have to have it scanned and have the trouble code removed from it once the new one is on,but auto zone will do that for free,good luck on it,hope this helps.
Even the ones that are hard to get to can be gotten to. I've never had to use anything other than a standard wrench or adjustable wrench. You just have to be smarted than the O2 sensor and take it slow and easy. Most will twist out by hand once you got a couple turns on them.

Generally, if you don't have any idle problems or trouble lights on the dash, once every hundred thousand miles is a good standard. I had one on my Caddy for 131,000 before I decided to throw a new one on it and I twisted it off with my fingers since the pressure (crush) %26quot;washer%26quot; had long since rusted away.
If they are not stuck, then you should be able to change then with out trouble. I have found the connector to be the hardest to do on Rangers. I think you have a V6 engine and you should have a total of 3 sensors. 2 before the Cat. and 1 after the Cat.

If you are doing this because of a code, get it diagnosed first. There are many things that can set an O2 sensor code of witch there are many.