Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I change a Oxygen Sensor? (02 Eclipse)?

Yesterday my S.E.S light turned on, got two opinions on it. One said o2 sensor the other said exhaust sensor (I under stand thats the same thing, ppl just got different names) so I'm looking to go get a new sensor from a Mitsubishi dealer tomorrow and replacing the old one myself...I understand I need to unclip the wires and pull out the probe(?) part and then just put in the new one but is there anything complicated I should expect? or anything I should now? instructions would be nice lol (thx for any help!)
How do I change a Oxygen Sensor? (02 Eclipse)?
I recently replaced the oxygen sensor on an 11 year old Nissan pickup. I expected it to be %26quot;welded%26quot; in place, but it came out with no problem. You don't need to get the sensor at a dealer. Also, don't cut the wires! Get an O2 sensor socket at any auto parts store (they aren't that expensive, pick one up when you get the sensor) or borrow one from a friend. They're like a spark plug socket, but with a slot on one side to fit around the wires.
How do I change a Oxygen Sensor? (02 Eclipse)?
The main thing is which O2 sensor are you replacing. There maybe as many as 4 of them on your car. You right about the way to change it and should have no problem as long as the sensor is not rusted in place%26gt;
First, dont get the new one from the dealer. They just charge way too much. Second, when replacing the O2 sensor be careful of impending rust. It could rust itself into place and be the biggest pain to get. Also keep in mind that you will need a special socket to get that thing out. Or cut the old wire off and use a box end wrench. But rust is the biggest deal with those so have fun.
I'm curious what you mean by %26quot;opinions.%26quot; Were they the opinions of mechanics, or of the most convenient guys with code readers? I'm also curious as to what code(s) set to begin with. Often a code for a catalyst inefficiency is dismissed as a bad O2 sensor, when just as often, it's an exhaust leak. These guys are right about frozen sensors though. I don't think it's the rust as much as heat fluctuation, which is more of a problem for sensors mounted directly into the manifolds. Generally, if it's going to come out, it should break free and spin fairly easily. If you're struggling with it for more than a quarter-turn or so, you probably have a problem on your hands.