Friday, September 23, 2011

I have a rubbing sound when i turn my tires and the steering wheel shakes when i brake. what could cause this?

i recently replaced the shocks, front brakes, front right ball joint, the serpentine belt, had a tune up and changed the oxygen sensor. I had an alignment and tire balance done and this stopped the rubbing sound for awhile. but it's now back, along with a groaning sound. can anyone help?
I have a rubbing sound when i turn my tires and the steering wheel shakes when i brake. what could cause this?
It might just be slack wheel nuts, sometimes the simple thing are missed. Although the shocks were replaced how about the springs? Try jacking up the front and spinning the wheel to check if the brakes are binding, these suggestions might help but keep on trying I have no training in auto repairs but the only time my car goes into a garage is for the annual road safety check which is a government requirement.
I have a rubbing sound when i turn my tires and the steering wheel shakes when i brake. what could cause this?
I think this same thing happened to my car when I had to replace the ball joint but I am by no means a professional!!
Time for a brake recheck. If the steering wheel shakes when you brake, the front brake discs are slightly warped (when the brake pads grab the discs, the whole assembly shimmys back and forth because of the warp - this gets felt as a slight right-left motion in your steering wheel). If this problem existed in the back wheels, you would feel a something like a slow-fast-slow stopping motion. If your front brakes are 'groaning', that's a sign of too much metallic material in the pads and is common in aftermarket pads. You can either wait a while and see if it eventually goes away, complain about the noise to your mechanic, and/or have him put in OEM (original equipment) pads (which cost 2x more). Aren't cars great? Good luck!