Friday, September 23, 2011

My 97' Dodge Intrepid dies when I hit the brakes?

I started to drive and it seemed like my trans slipped, it vibrated and jumped a little bit, it cleared off but then as soon as i hit my brakes the car died. The car starts and drives, but when you hit the brakes it dies out. The check engine light is on, I got my oxygen sensor changed a few months back, what could it be?
My 97' Dodge Intrepid dies when I hit the brakes?
Believe it or not, the check engine light means the computer has detected a fault. Since the car has OBDII, the codes will tell you what's wrong., so get the codes read.
My 97' Dodge Intrepid dies when I hit the brakes?
Well first check your oil cause it might be your engine locking up and if you are the type of person who runs your car on fumes before you fill back up you should stop because that is incredibly hard on the engine and transmission. other then that you would be best off having a mechanic check it out real fast.
Have the code read and save yourself some grief. If I had to guess, your power brake booster is leaking, causing a vacuum leak (too much air) at the engine. The power brakes are run by engine vacuum, and if the booster is leaking it causes the engine to suck in way too much air and confuses the system. Just a possibility.