Friday, September 23, 2011

Oxygen sensor for a 98-99 toyota avalon?

I have a 99 toyota avalon and the check engine light just came on, I have no idea what is wrong, but the engine is fine. My friends told me that it might be my oxygen sensor. I read on some sights that my car has 2 sensors. I am kind of low on cash and I just want to change the one that is broken, how do I test it and where is this stupid sensor. Do shops tests check engine lights for free, since I might be doing that, also is it hard to fix?
Oxygen sensor for a 98-99 toyota avalon?
Hello and good question...



First off you will need to find out what the actual codes are that turned on the Check Engine Light. No point in waisting time and money fixing things that you or your friend might think is the problem.



All Check Engine Lights come on for multiple reasons and you will need to figure out WHY it came on. By having the codes you are narrowing down the location of the problem, so that you can use correct judgment and diagnostics to correct it with lower cost to you.



Go to your local auto parts store barrow their Code Scanner - now you will get a code or codes that lead you to the direction of the problem BUT may still not be the right solution.



Once you get the codes and you have an idea where to start your diagnostics , you will still need perhaps tools to do this.



I for one would do this, since you are not able to correct the problem without tools and/or/ scanner - I would go to the Dealer have them run diagnostics , get the info they give you fix the problem yourself. This way you have correct information on why the light is coming on and they have done all the diagnostics for you. You will pay something for this diagnostics but you can be sure that you will get the problem fixed.



Good Luck
Oxygen sensor for a 98-99 toyota avalon?
Don't go guessing %26amp; replacing parts your car may not need. See if there is an auto-zone or pep-boys shop around, usually they will pull the code(s) from your computer for free, with the thought that they can sell you the part right then and there. However do not buy the part just because there is a code stored for it, there may be a wiring issue causing the code. There a probably about 160 different items that can make your check engine light come on, even a loose or missing gas cap will do that. Have the code pulled, go to alldata-diy.com, you can buy a subscription to all the technical data for your vehicle there so that you can acess the manufacuturers test for the specific code and/or a possbile service bulliten issued from the factory relating to your problem. It will also contain the nec. repair info once you determine the cause of failure.I think the subscription will run you about $ 25.00 for the year. Good Luck!
Before you do anything, take the car out and put the petal to the metal. I mean really floor it getting onto the freeway. Many times an O2 sensor will show bad because of carbon build-up. Most people occasionally put the petal to the metal a few times during the year, but with gas prices being high I have seen a lot more of these because people just don't run the car hard enough or often enough to keep it clean.

If this works for you be sure to give me best answer because I'll never get it in the voting!