Monday, September 19, 2011

What can be done to improve gas mileage?

My 1995 chevy 1/2 ton truck has 89K on it and get 9 to 10 mpg. Can anything be done to it to improve MPG. It is a 350 auto trans, ext cab. will changing the oxygen sensor help?
What can be done to improve gas mileage?
Assuming the truck has 89K on it, and the original oxygen sensor, I'd say the chances are good that it needs to be replaced. The sensor was only intended to last 60,000 miles or so. Worth a shot. I just replaced mine after 75,000 miles, and improved fuel mileage about 3 mpg. No trouble codes had been set, the sensor was still working, just not very well.
What can be done to improve gas mileage?
dont drive as much.
ch ox sensor will not help unless it needs new one...tune it,keep tires full of air,drive easy.....is check engine lite on? get scan at auto pts store...free in my town
Get a K%26amp;N air filter. In my Chevy, it added 3 mpg.
Changing the Oxygen sensor MAY help, but it's not a guaranteed.



I would get a tune up, if you haven't already, top off all of your fluids, and get a different air cleaner (I suggest K%26amp;N)
I am not sure if changing the oxygen sensor would help but keeping your air filter clean definetly will. I bought a K%26amp;N filter for my car and it has been terrific. My gas mileage improved some and my car actually seems to run better.
shut your truck off at stop lights coast down hills new oil nitrogen filled tires clean your air filter
THRER MAY NOT BE MUCH HELP WITH A 1/2 TON TRUCK
check and maintain correct tyre(tire)pressures/try to avoid using excessive revs/dont carry un-nessessary cargo items.....and drive at economical speed ie about 50mph or 2500 RPM.....for starters......
The following may squeeze a little more mileage out of your 350 but please don't expect miracles: When your next service interval comes due try switching the motor oil, transmission fluid and rear end gear lube to full synthetic oil.

I'd also jump on the band wagon and install a K%26amp;N air filter in your present %26quot;air box%26quot;.

You can understand that your truck weighs nearly 5,500 lbs. and it takes a lot of horsepower to keep that much weight rolling along.

As other people have already stated OEM AC-Delco plugs and ignition wires won't hurt the situation either.
You can try not having a lead foot. :)
I have been using a product for over a year that has increased my mileage by over 15% on the highway and a little less than that in the city.