Monday, September 19, 2011

2000 Ford Ranger 4 Cylinder 2wd, about 98,000 miles. Oxygen Sensor!?

I hope I disclosed enough information about my truck. I recently had changed two oxygen sensors, are there more than 2 on a 4 cylinder automatic? I replaced the passenger side near the gas tank...is that after or before the catalytic, it was very accessible?! Unlike the one near the front of the engine passenger side. The first oxygen sensor I'm talking about was replaced at least a week ago, with a bosch sensor. I drove at least 150 miles and now I have a check engine light, its a p1131. The other sensor was changed at least 5 months ago! My drive seems to be much better than before...the truck wasn't speeding up as it should. Now it's fine but this damn light!! Any suggestions!!
2000 Ford Ranger 4 Cylinder 2wd, about 98,000 miles. Oxygen Sensor!?
p1131 =



Misfire bank 1 ( only have 1 bank,,could be spark plug)

Vacuum leak

EFI problem

OR Engine mechanical





According to Autozone...



I would change the spark plugs first and go from there..
2000 Ford Ranger 4 Cylinder 2wd, about 98,000 miles. Oxygen Sensor!?
With a 4 cylinder %26amp; single exhaust, you probably only have two: One before the cat and one after it. The one by the gas tank is probably the one after the cat. Maybe go to a parts store and have the computer read again, because the sensors should last a couple of years if the engine is a decent shape. HEY - Check the wiring to the sensor...make sure it's plugged in tight, and not melted by touching the exhaust pipe.
It's not likely that two O2 sensors would be faulty - it's far more likely that the engine is running lean.

Fuel pressure? Vacuum leak? MAF sensor? etc.........