Thursday, September 15, 2011

I changed my ctalytic converter and the 2 oxygen sensors will this help my hc emissions?

1995 plymouth neon
I changed my ctalytic converter and the 2 oxygen sensors will this help my hc emissions?
yes it should ,that's the main cause of one usually running to rich or not passing an emission test,if it doesn't there's not much left to change out on it,id have it checked the can tell you what the emission reading is on it and it should be low now,make sure its tuned real good also ,that will cause high readings,good luck.
I changed my ctalytic converter and the 2 oxygen sensors will this help my hc emissions?
Yep that's pretty much it. Your emissions should pass for sure now.
Not necessarily,..still could have engine /ignition problems..

Spark plugs, plug wires, etc..

Engine compression?

Has the car been tuned up?

How does it run?

Things to consider...if parts are faulty,it can ruin new converter and sensors.
I suggest doing what Joe D. stated. If you have premium fuel in your tank, drive car until gas tank is almost empty and put regular gas. The day of the smog test, make sure the car is nice and warmed up. Do not get it smoged on a cold engine.
NO!!!!! And yes!! Your cats will drastically reduce your H?C Emissions. Your o2 sensor is to fine tune your air fuel mixture!! It will not richen or lean your air fuel mixture enough to cause any drastic changes. High h/c on a fuel injected car can be from an ignition misfire, weak fuel pressure. wires, spark plugs An ineffecient catylatic converter. Look in those ares first. Also your ignition timing can be to far advanced and would cause high H?C readings. H/C is basically unburned fuel. I was a smog tech in california for about 8 years and they are the strictest there is!! Goodluck!!
I work for ford at the emision test lab



possibly it may work. but not for sure.

the catylitic converter has two bricks that ignite . one brick will take out hydrocarbons and the other co and .

also their is the brain of the engine called the power control module. this tells the engine the timing of the different functions of the firing injecting and exhausting. using different strageties is what they call it. will determine how the engines exhaust will be.

its just programing the pcm basicly. so although your repairs may fix the problem. it could be that your pcm needs to be reinitialized. they can do that easily and fast at the dealer. good luck friend
Assuming that was what was wrong in the first place and both the catalyst and the 2 O2 sensors are the correct ones for the vehicle, yes, that should help with your hydrocarbon emissions.
Yes , that will help a great deal.

I drive a Dodge truck with a standard 318 and I had the cat. removed after it plugged up. 'had the 02 sensor relaced also.

I made sure that plugs, wires and dist. cap were in good operation. My truck has never run better.