Thursday, September 15, 2011

How/where do I change the downstream oxygen sensor for a 1997 Chevy s10?

It is a 4-cylinder, manual transmission engine, and my mechanic told me that it was the %26quot;downstream%26quot; oxygen sensor AFTER the converter that needed to be changed. Where is that sensor located, how do I get to it, and what tools will I need? I am very in-experienced with cars but believe that I can do this if I have enough information.
How/where do I change the downstream oxygen sensor for a 1997 Chevy s10?
It's screwed into the exhaust pipe. If you start from the back of the truck, and go towards the front, it's the first sensor you find in the exhaust. It has wires going to it, probably four. You'll need a 7/8%26quot; combination wrench.



The new one has anti-sieze compound on the threads. It looks like grease. Do not clean it off. Leave it there when you install it.



It's as simple as unplug - unscrew - screw in - plug in.
How/where do I change the downstream oxygen sensor for a 1997 Chevy s10?
Down stream o2 will be in front of the cat. Use an o2 socket or a 7/8 in wrench will work as well. It is very easy to do.